Toddler Dies of Heparin Overdose

OMAHA, April 1 (UPI) — A Nebraska hospital is investigating the death of a 23-month-old Texas girl who was given an overdose of the blood-thinning drug Heparin.

Almariah Duque died Wednesday at the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, KETV, Omaha, reported. She had been at the hospital since December for several organ transplants needed because of a congenital condition.


“It feels like — like somebody just ripped her out of our hands,” her mother, Kenya Duque of Dallas, said.

Kenya Duque told CNN she believes what happened to her daughter was an “honest mistake.” But she said she wants the hospital to ensure it won’t happen to another child.

Paul Baltes, a hospital spokesman, said the girl did get too much Heparin, KETV said.

“Overall that’s the idea of this investigation, to figure out if there was a mistake, what prompted it, and how we can rectify it, to make sure nothing like this happens again like that,” Baltes said.

Copyright 2010 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI’s prior written consent.


Categorized | Other
Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Advertisement