Sparklers Can Top 2,000 Degrees Fahrenheit

SANTA ANA, Calif., July 3 (UPI) — Fireworks are a big part of the Fourth of July holiday but they can be dangerous and cause severe injury, a U.S. security and janitorial firm warns.

Officials at Universal Services of America, based in Santa Ana, Calif., say the best way to stay safe is to avoid the home use of fireworks and attend a public community display instead. Even sparklers can cause serious injuries and can burn at temperatures near 2,000 degrees F.


However, if planning to use fireworks, Universal Services advises to:

– Check to see if fireworks are legal in your area, as not all communities allow the use of fireworks.

– Buy only legal fireworks with a manufacturer’s label and store in a cool, dry place.

– Fireworks are for outdoor use only and do not alter or combine in any way.

– Never shoot fireworks off in glass or metal containers and do not relight any that fail.

– Always keep a supply of water where fireworks are lit.

– Light only one firework at a time, keep it away from any part of your body and move quickly.

– Douse used fireworks with water to prevent fire.

– Never mix fireworks and alcohol.

– If injury occurs, run cool water over the burn and seek immediate medical attention.

Copyright 2010 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI’s prior written consent.


Categorized | Other
Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Advertisement