NEW YORK, May 28 (UPI) — As Memorial Day, July Fourth and Labor Day approach a U.S. physician recommends people take steps to avoid getting burned, in more ways than one.
A few moments of care can help avoid a mishap and prevent needless injury, or worse, a tragedy, Dr. Roger Yurt, director of New York City’s Hearst Burn Center of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, says.
When firing up the barbecue, Yurt advises always opening the cover before lighting a gas grill and lighting the match before turning on the propane gas.
“Under no circumstances should you use your grill indoors,” Yurt says in a statement. “In addition, fireworks and sparklers should be handled by trained professionals — sparklers can get as hot as 1,200 degrees F!”
Fireworks spectators are advised to stay at least 500 feet away from the fireworks display, Yurt says.
“Always wear sunscreen to avoid serious and painful sunburns,” he says. “When playing in the sand or on playground surfaces, always wear shoes to avoid injuries and burns to the feet. Playground surfaces can reach temperatures of 180 degrees F.”
Copyright 2010 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI’s prior written consent.