PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, Oct. 24 (UPI) — Doctors and relief workers in Haiti say they fear a cholera outbreak north of Port-au-Prince will reach the capital as the disease’s death toll reached 208.
Officials said some 2,674 cases have been confirmed and those people are being treated with hydration and antibiotics, The New York Times reported.
However, since first appearing earlier this year in the town of St. Marc, 60 miles north of the capital, efforts to contain the disease haven’t been entirely successful, as five residents of Port-au-Prince were diagnosed with cholera Saturday, the report said.
The disease is generally acquired by contact with infected human feces, which is common among the poverty-stricken tent cities where more than 1 million Haitians live after January’s massive earthquake, officials told the Times.
Federica Nogarotto, a Doctors Without Borders coordinator in St.-Marc, said in a statement the hospital in St.-Marc “does not have the capacity to handle a cholera emergency” and efforts were under way to create isolation treatment areas.
Copyright 2010 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI’s prior written consent.