CONCORD, N.H., Nov. 2 (UPI) — A New Hampshire resident has died of E. coli in a case linked to the recall of more than 500,000 pounds of beef from a New York processor, authorities said.
The victim was not identified in the announcement from the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services, The Boston Globe reported Monday.
The deceased and two other New Hampshire residents fell ill after allegedly eating ground beef from Fairbanks Farms, Ashville, N.Y., New Hampshire health officials said Saturday.
Fairbanks Farms issued a recall for the beef, produced in mid-September for shipment to retail stores in mid-Atlantic and Eastern states.
In an unrelated case, South Shore Meats Co., Brockton, Mass., issued a recall of beef after more than 20 Rhode Island children and adults fell ill during a mid-October visit to a camp in Plymouth, Mass., The Globe reported.
The children and adults ate ground beef allegedly processed by South Shore Meats. Ground beef from the camp’s kitchen tested positive for E.coli, authorities said.
Copyright 2009 by United Press International