ORLANDO, Fla., Sept. 21 (UPI) — An amoeba infection that killed three boys in Orlando, Fla., in 2007 has been confirmed in a 22-year-old man, authorities said.
The man was hospitalized Sunday in Orlando, Orange County health officials told the Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel in a story published Monday.
The three boys and the man suffered from amoebic meningoencephalitis, a rare infection that occurs when the warm-water amoeba Naegleria fowleri is forced up the nose to the spinal cord and the brain, the Sentinel said.
The 22-year-old man was exposed to warm freshwater at the Orlando Watersports complex, health department spokesman Mirna Chamorro said.
The family of one of the boys who died in 2007 later sued the complex, saying the boy had take wake-boarding lessons at the complex before he was stricken, the Sentinel reported.
In a statement late Sunday, owners of the water complex said they follow all health requirements, including water testing, and provide free nose clips to anyone using their facility.
Copyright 2009 by United Press International