CALGARY, Ontario, Sept. 14 (UPI) — No one was reported injured during an ammonia leak at a chicken processing plant in Calgary, Canada, authorities said Monday.
Three blocks in the Ramsay neighborhood was closed to traffic Sunday night as crews worked for several hours to fix a faulty valve at the plant, the Calgary Herald reported Monday.
No one was evacuated, though residents of the area were told to close windows and shut down furnaces to prevent ammonia from entering buildings.
Some residents decided to leave the area voluntarily until firefighters were able to clear the air of ammonia with high-powered water streams from hoses, the Herald said.
Copyright 2009 by United Press International