OTTAWA, Nov. 13 (UPI) — The second wave of infection from the H1N1 flu virus has caused a spike in deaths in Canada this month, public health officials say.
Dr. David Butler-Jones, Canada’s chief public health officer, told reporters that as of Thursday, the death toll from the virus originally called swine flu had reached 192, with a dramatic surge of confirmed infections in the last two weeks, the Globe and Mail reported.
“We haven’t seen the peak yet, in my view,” he said.
The agency recorded 66 deaths since Oct. 29, yet from Tuesday to Thursday, the death toll rose by 26, The (Montreal) Gazette said.
Officials said the H1N1 virus that emerged in April in Mexico is particularly lethal to younger people as it’s similar to a flu strain that appeared before 1957, to which older people have developed antibodies, the Globe said.
So far, the youngest confirmed H1N1 fatality was a two-month-old boy in London, Ontario, who died earlier this month, the report said.
Copyright 2009 by United Press International