If we believe anthropogenic CO2 causes catastrophic global warming, we deforest the earth to grow “carbon neutral” biofuel.
|The Congo Rainforest|
Deforestation causes droughts, and deforestation, for a variety of reasons, may be a greater contributor to global warming than rising levels of CO2.
What if the deforestation to produce biofuel crops causes more harm, like droughts and global warming than it does good?
Some Relevant Facts:
- Land surface of planet earth – 56 million square miles
- Total arable farmland on earth – 5 million square miles
- Biofuel potential with conventional crops – 5,000 barrels per square mile per year
- World biofuel production using all farmland on earth – 25 billion barrels
- World petroleum production 2005 – 30 billion barrels
- Desert area 150 years ago – 5 million square miles
- Desert area today – 8 million square miles
- Forest area 150 years ago – 30 million square miles
- Forest area today – 18 million square miles